Merchant navy is the backbone of international trade,carrying cargo all over the world. Youngster who want to travel around the world and like adventures can make a career in merchant navy.
Career in merchant navy is considered a glamorous job and is satisfying but quite challenging. It offers the opportunity to travel the places all around the world.
- 1 MERCHANT NAVY JOB PROSPECTS:
- 2 MERCHANT NAVY JOB PROFILE:
- 2.1 (1) DECK DEPARTMENT JOBS:
- 2.2 (2)ENGINE DEPARTMENT JOBS:
- 2.3 (3) SUPPORT JOBS:
- 2.4 Related
MERCHANT NAVY JOB PROSPECTS:
The merchant ships employ a large number of workers to carry and deliver goods from one country to another. Without the merchant navy ,import export business would sink. Companies that run merchant navy ships require trained people who can operate & maintain ships.
- Excellent Verbal & written communication skills.
- Decision making ability.
- Self motivation.
- Willingness to learn.
- Ability to work with all levels of staff.
MERCHANT NAVY JOB PROFILE:
There are three main categories of jobs in commercial shipping:-
- DECK DEPARTMENT JOBS
- ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT JOBS
- SUPPORT JOBS
(1) DECK DEPARTMENT JOBS:
Followings are the rank in Deck Department –
- Second Officer
- Third Officer
- Deck Cadets
- Captain is also known as Chief Officer/Chief Mate.Captain is the senior most officer of a ship.
- They are responsible for navigation,management of ship and overall security of passengers and the ship & good it is carrying.
- Salary – Rs.5,00,000 – Rs.12,20,000 per month.
(B) SECOND OFFICER:
- They are responsible for navigation of ship.
- Second mate has vast responsibilities like navigation,preparing navigation chart of vessel,medical care of seamen assisting the chief mate.
- Salary – Rs.3,00,000 – Rs.6,00,000 per month.
(C) THIRD MATE:
- Third mate is responsible for safety of ship including firefighting, lifeboats & other safety systems.
- Also responsible for controlling ship operations,sea watching,traffic management & cargo handling at ports.
- Salary – Rs.1,50,000 – Rs.3,00,000 per month.
(D) DECK CADET:
- They are trainee Deck Officer who learn while performing a lot of responsibilities.
- Deck cadet study the responsibility of Deck Officer while performs jobs like maintenance of ship, cargo operation etc.
- Salary – Rs.60,000 – Rs. 1,50,000 per month.
(2)ENGINE DEPARTMENT JOBS:
Followings are the rank of engineering department –
- Chief Engineer/First Engineer
- Second Engineer
- Third Engineer
- Fourth Engineer
- Fifth Engineer
(A) CHIEF ENGINEER:
- He is the incharge of the Engine Department.Chief Engineer reports to the master of the ship & holds the responsibilities of operation of ship.
- Also responsible for power generation plant operation, lightning, fuel etc.
- Salary – Rs.5,50,000 – Rs.8,00,000 per month.
- They assists the Chief Engineer in the engine room and other installations operations of the ship.
- Responsible for life saving appliances & fire fighting appliances & other emergency equipment of the ship.
- Salary – Rs.3,50,000 – Rs.5,50,000 per month.
- He is the duty engineer who is responsible for the maintenance and repairing of ship engine,surface cleaning and painting.
- They also look after the electrical & electronic operation of ship as instructed by Chief Engineer.
- When necessary they maintain the safety and environment protection policies of the ship.
- Salary – Rs.2,50,000 – Rs.4,00,000 per month.
- They reports to the second engineer and carries out the instructions given by second engineer.
- He checks all the supplies ,fuel , compression purifier.Also responsible for sludge and disposal of waste generated in the ship.
- Also checks the running hours of machinery.
- Salary – Rs.1,50,000 – Rs.2,50,000 per month.
(E) FIFTH ENGINEER:
- Fifth Engineer is the trainee engineer in the engine department.
- Apart from getting training he has to handle responsibilities like drain air bottles,main engine & pump etc.
- Salary – Rs.60,000 – Rs.1,50,000 per month.
(3) SUPPORT JOBS:
- They are the skilled seamen who helps all the officers with daily tasks.
- They also handles the catering and hospitality of the crew and officers.
- Salary – Rs.30,000-Rs.50,000 per month.